Old and St Andrew's Church Summer Mission
Parents who wish to bring their children along for the first time on Thursday 5th or Friday 6th July can do so and register their children at the hall
Here at Old and St Andrew's Church we have been holding a Summer Mission for 7 years. In late 2006 the congregation entered into a contract with IMPACT (A division of the Church of Scotland Mission and Discipleship). The contract agreed was that an IMPACT Team of around 12 would come and stay with the congregation for a week and lead a Summer Mission and for members of the congregation to shadow the team, become involved in the running of the Holiday Club which would form the main part of the Summer Mission and be ready to take on the organising and running of the Summer Mission themselves.
At the outset of entering into the contract the agreed aims were agreed as follows:
- To attract young families into the church
- To encourage congregational involvement
- To disciple young people by working alongside them during events.
The main focus of any Summer Mission is the children's holiday club and over the years we have run the following programmes:-
- 2007 - Going Bananas
- 2008 - Go for Gold
- 2009 - Big Top/Little Top*
- 2010 - Secret Agents/Dinky Detectives*
- 2011 - Jungle Jamboree/Teeny Trekkers*
This year for 2012 we running Seaside Rock/Seaside Splashers* which focuses on Peter's experiences in following Jesus.
* while progressing the work of the Summer Mission it became apparent to the leaders that there was scope for a Nursery Age Summer Holiday Club and this has successfully run for pre-schoolers (aged 3 and over) for the past 3 years and runs for an hour each morning during the Summer Mission Week.
The Summer Mission runs during the first week of the school holidays and kicks off with a coffee morning in the church halls on Saturday 30 June from 10am - 12 noon.